Degenerative Disc Disease (DDD)...
Degenerative Disc Disease(DDD):
Degenerative Disc Disease is the degeneration of the annular fibres of the intervertebral disc. These discs function as shock absorbers during movement and load bearing. They are flexible yet strong. DDD can occur in the cervical spine and/or the lumbar spine.
Some other terms that are used with DDD:
- Spondylosis - degenerative changes in the facet joints leading to ankylosing(fusing) of the joint capsules.
- Slipped disc - disc herniation.
- Lumbago - general term for low back pain.
The cause of degenerative disc disease is chronic overloading of the disc leading to microtearing and migration of the annular fibre nucleus. This can be extremely painful due to the pressure on the surrounding structures and nerves.
- muscle imbalances leading to asymmetric loading of the spine
- postural dysfunction such as head-forward posture
- chronic degenerative changes in the disc
- decreased flexibility
- poor posture
Home care for Degenerative Disc Disease(DDD):
Some helpful tips on how to decrease your pain from Degenerative Disc Disease(DDD) between your Massage Therapy treatments…
- Hydrotherapy such as heat applied to shortened muscles, and a cool compress to inflamed areas to decrease acute pain.
- Self massage to chronically shortened muscles can be helpful.
- Stretching and strengthening exercises can help correct postural dysfunctions and muscle imbalances.
- Foam rolling, if done properly can also be extremely effective in treating DDD.
Please contact me with any questions you may have about how Massage Therapy or Structural Integration can help relieve your Degenerative Disc Disease(DDD).