Carpal Tunnel Syndrome...
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome:
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) is a condition that occurs from the compression of the median nerve where it passes through the carpal tunnel at the wrist. Numbness and tingling result due to the compression on the nerve. The tingling and numbness affect the first 3 and a half digits of the hand.
- repetitive actions of the wrist, mostly flexing and extending the wrist.
- repeated traumas causing thickening of the retinaculum due to the scar tissue.
- systemic conditions that cause edema and retention of fluid such as diabetes, hypothyroidism, rheumatoid arthritis and pregnancy.
- space occupying lesions in the canal space such as ganglia, lipomas or cysts.
Home care for Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS):
Some helpful tips on how to decrease your pain from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS) between your Massage Therapy treatments…
- While at a computer try to place the wrists in a neutral position and the forearms parallel to the floor. Elbows should be supported by the arms of your chair at a level that allows the shoulders to sit in a non-elevated position.
- Foam rolling, if done properly can also be extremely effective in treating Carpal Tunnel Syndrome.
- Hydrotherapy such as heat for chronic pain and cool compresses for an acute attack can bring relief.
- Stretching and strengthening exercises can help correct postural dysfunctions and muscle imbalances.
Please contact me with any questions you may have about how Massage Therapy or Structural Integration can help relieve Carpal Tunnel Syndrome (CTS)